Healthy Practices For Maintaining Good Oral Health

Healthy Practices For Maintaining Good Oral Health

Preventive dental care is the best way to protect your teeth from damage. While professional dental cleanings and exams are essential, there are a few other things you can do at home. Read on to understand a list of healthy practices to be adopted to maintain your oral health:

  • Regular dental visits

Visiting the dentist on a routine basis is one of the best ways to protect your teeth and gums from damage. Even if you practice excellent dental hygiene, you still need to see your dentist for routine checkups and professional cleanings. 

  • Keeping your teeth clean between visits

In addition to coming in for routine cleanings and exams, it's important to practice good oral hygiene at home. Brushing and flossing your teeth are the two most important things you can do to maintain your oral health. Brushing and flossing help to remove plaque from your teeth, which, if left unchecked, turns into tartar and leads to tooth decay.

You should brush your teeth for at least two minutes each session; do not rush through brushing. Flossing should also be done gently and thoroughly, reaching every tooth, including your molars. Flossing removes plaque from between teeth to help prevent cavities and gum disease. Brushing alone only cleans 65% of the tooth, so flossing helps to reach the remaining 35%.

If you find it difficult to floss, try using a floss holder, which will gently pull the floss back and forth.

  • Rinsing

Rinsing after meals or snacks can help remove debris and plaque stuck in your mouth. Consider rinsing with a fluoride mouthwash for extra protection.

  • Eating well

Did you know that certain foods can actually improve the health of your mouth? Some foods contain nutrients that protect the teeth and gums. For example, leafy green vegetables like broccoli and kale have calcium, which is essential for healthy bones and teeth. Eating plenty of calcium-rich foods can lower your risk of cavities. It's also important to limit foods that are high in sugar, which can feed the bacteria that cause plaque.

  • Quitting smoking

Cigarettes, cigars, and chewing tobacco are all dangerous habits that can lead to oral cancer and gum disease. People who smoke often experience bad breath, discoloration, and cavities. Smoking also causes many serious health problems, including lung cancer, stroke, and heart disease. Quitting smoking reduces the risk of oral cancer and gum disease, as well as lowers the risk for other serious health problems.

Get in touch with Peak Family Dentistry at 4933 Brainerd Rd, Chattanooga, TN 37411, or call (423) 899-1948 to schedule an appointment for the best dental care based on your specific needs.



4933 Brainerd Rd, Chattanooga, TN 37411

Phone: (423) 899-1948


  • MON - TUE: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
  • WED: Closed
  • THU: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
  • FRI - SUN: Closed
Contact Us

9638 E Brainerd Rd, Chattanooga, TN 37421

Phone: (423) 899-1948


  • MON - WED: 7:00 am - 5:00 pm
  • THU: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
  • FRI: 8:00 am - 2:00 pm
  • SAT - SUN: Closed
Contact Us
phone icon

Call Now!