Missing teeth leads to many problems not only aesthetically but also in terms of functionality. You may experience difficulty talking, chewing food, and bite problems. At one point, you will realize that it is essential to replace missing teeth. While dentures are an excellent option to replace them, many people seek dental implants as an alternative.
Dental implants are titanium posts (studs) that we install surgically into your jawbone. They act as an artificial tooth root for your missing teeth. The restoration also includes the addition of crowns or bridges.
How are Dental Implants Inserted?
We begin by carrying out your dental examination to evaluate your eligibility for the procedure. You should have good oral health and a healthy jawbone to qualify for implants. If your jawbone is not enough to support the implants, we will perform bone grafting before the implant surgery. It involves taking some bone from the other parts of your body or creating a synthetic graft and then fusing it with your jawbone.
We will numb the treatment site and make an incision into your gums. An implant will be placed, and your gums will be sutured. We will place temporary crowns in the meantime. You will be given 4-6 months of the healing period. Also known as osseointegration, the healing time ensures that the implant has fused well to the surrounding bone.
Once the implant is fused properly to the surrounding bone, we will perform the final restoration. We will take your impressions to create the crown matching your teeth' exact color, shape, and size. We will replace the temporary crowns with permanent ones.
What are the Advantages of Implants?
- Dental implants are a permanent restoration for missing teeth that provides strong anchoring for your replacement teeth.
- The results appear, function, and feel like your natural teeth. When compared to dentures, implants are more comfortable.
- We customize the implants to suit all your unique needs and requirements. After the treatment, the implants fit perfectly into your mouth.
- There is no restriction in terms of eating. You may chew your food without fearing the slipping of your implants.
- Dental implants help restore your bite force and prevent most bite problems.
- You do not have to go out of the way to maintain your implants. Merely brushing and flossing your teeth is enough to maintain them in the long run.
- Dental implants provide support to your neighboring teeth. They are suitable for all adults.
Please reach out to Peak Family Dentistry in Chattanooga, TN, to consult with our dentist, Dr. Cathey. Please call Dentist in Chattanooga TN at (423) 899-1948 or schedule an online consultation, and we'll guide you further.